Saturday 3 May 2008

Ted

This poem Jim and I wrote together. Ted, a wonderful friend of ours has developed Motor Neurone disease. We just wanted Ted to know how much we love him and support him in this new challenge of his, so Jim armed me with the information and I put the words together and we sent it off to him.

MY MATE TED


In 1990 the heavens opened wide
Nyngan had no chance to stem that heavy tide
We packed up our gear and headed out west
To lend a hand to those poor buggers being put to the test.


It was here I met Ted, larger than life
Organizing work and sorting out the strife,
When there’s people to help, I was to find out
This man was the master, of this there’s no doubt.


The memories of Robbie with goannas and snakes
And Bryce and Ted and the friends you make
Bring a smile to my face as I think of that stay
There is nothing like helping to humble your way.


Now my mate Ted is not just a good friend,
The best rep in the business, he looked after my end,
Price was important, but service the key,
He gave that in spades, and looked after me.


Burrawang Station, Friskies, schools and quotes
How could I forget the hours and plethora of notes,
Over a port with Jan, a cigar with me,
We made many a decision in that office at Homelea.


We enjoy great times both in work and play,
A drink or two might even come our way,
Our yearly Footy trip is a cherished bond
My mate and I together, maroon colours we both don.


Teds interest are varied and spread across the great land
Lions Club, Howqua’s pilgrimage and antiques on one hand
Then the Goods Shed at Neville is a treat to behold,
Railway Memorabilia and Aubrey unfold.


The Mayor of Blayney is a hat worn proud,
You will never see Ted shy away from a crowd,
Public office suits him right down to the ground,
A man so full of passion, I never have found.


That now brings me to Betty,
You are a treasure, nothing less,
Beside my mate working day and night
Often cleaning up the mess.
Two sons were produced to share in their life
And now Mark and Rex
have added a wife.


Now my mate Ted is not calm or quiet,
His bluster and gusto well known,
But now little people coming in to his life
A softness about him is shown.


Ted, its no secret that Jan and I love you dearly,
And God throws us challenges to help us see clearly,
But, Mate, you’ll meet this one in the way you know best,
With determination and grit, you will rise to the test.


Just stay happy, just stay proud,
Remember your friends are always near
If not in body, then in spirit, we send a hearty cheer,
Keep that stubborn chin up, I’ll have a beer for you
Mate you are a legend at everything you do.


Love from Jim and Jan Nov 2007

No comments: